Preparing more pieces to the front axle puzzle

Maybe two thirds of wheel mount parts are ready:

image

But still one third missing not even talking about the next steps like building the axle +  diff frame/support structures.

Let’s see do I have a ready front axle at next week… But I believe this is one of the most difficult engineering challenges at this project. And it needs to go right because the rest of the tractor will be built to match this.

Construction of the front axle started

 

I was able to start welding pieces together today, so I guess it is safe to say that the construction of the front axle has been started:20140814_160901

And this is the current status:
20140814_173442Hopefully tomorrow I can continue building the lower ball joint mounts.  Upper ball joint mount will need a couple of pieces also and I have a plan to connect the mounts (upper & lower) together so that they can be unbolted and dismantled if needed.

 

Preparing front axle parts

Today I spent quite long time inventoring my spare parts and scrap metal storages for the front axle construction. I think I now also have a solid plan how to build the front axle.

Here are a couple of photos from the preparation work:

image

image

The last photo is about the lower ball joint mounts. That piece of metal will be cutted probably to four parts.

Gearbox back in one piece

 

Here is the washed diff just before installing it back to the gearbox. Not looking so pretty, but I think  it should be strong enough. Last layer was welded with mig (with rather moderate power) and all the deeper layers with electrodes:20140810_164556

A couple of photos when I was assembling the gearbox back to one piece: 20140810_165851 I spotted a perfect location for a new oil drain plug since the original is so high at the gearbox that it leaves almost half of the oils still inside. This was a blank 10mm hole, which I drilled through and made 12mm threw to it. 20140810_171727

It aligns perfectly with the bottom level, so maybe it was meant to be a drain plug place which is not used for some weird reason. The bolt and copper seal already in it’s place:20140810_172107

Couple of photos while assembling the fifth gear:20140810_182929 20140810_182940

 

And finally all bolts bolted back where they came from + all the parts inside the box. I tested all the gears and they seemed to go in and also looked to work as expected when I rotated the input shaft.20140810_183549Gearbox paired back again with the engine:20140810_190456 20140810_190511